beantwoord

Cancel mobile phone subscription before end date of contract

• 5 October 2022
  • 7 reacties
  • 532 x bekeken

I am moving abroad in December and I’ve read in the forums on tele2.nl from tele2 that it is possible to end your subscription early without having to pay the rest of the service costs if you can prove you are emigrating. When I have contacted tele2 customer service they tell me I need to pay for all of the services and the device cost. Has anyone cancelled a mobile subscription when moving abroad that can advise me? 

icon

Beste antwoord door Marciano van Tele2 5 October 2022, 16:47

Bekijk origineel bericht

7 reacties

From a forum posting 1.5 year ago by a moderator:

If you move abroad, you may terminate your subscription with us immediately (without compensation for the subscription). However, the device contract, if any, must be redeemed.

The customer has to prove that he is going to emigrate. He has to send us a letter to prove this (by post, to:  Tele2, stating 'Cancellation of membership', Postbus 289, 2400 AG, Alphen a/d Rijn) with one of the following documents:

• Emigration papers
  • Proof of deregistration from your municipality. You can apply for this at the RNI desk (Registration Non-Residents). Click here for more information.
  • Proof of registration at your new municipality
  • Proof of registration at your new university/college

In this case we can stop the service contract free of charge, but we will charge a surrender fee for any phone credit. Only when the credit has been fully redeemed will we proceed with the termination.

A cancellation period of one month is always applicable, also in case of cancellation in connection with emigration.

If you move abroad, you may terminate your subscription with us immediately (without compensation for the subscription). However, the device contract, if any, must be redeemed.” 

Thanks. Does this imply that I do not have to pay the subscription costs? 

Reputatie 7
Badge +12

Hey Rory,

First off, cool to hear that you're emigrating. Where are you going?

@WhTurner Thanks for finding this information! I researched it and the rules have changed since last time. There is no exception anymore for emigrating and canceling your subscription.

Rory, I see that you also had a chat with my colleague. The information that she gave you was correct. The information above is outdated. You can cancel your subscription through this link. However, you will have to pay compensation for the amount of time that your subscription is supposed to be running (until 21-01-2024) and for your device, of course. Please note that there is always a 1 month notice period. So, it's best to cancel your subscription in november and pay off your device in 1 go. You can easily do this through iDeal in MijnTele2.

I hope this clarifies things for you. If you have any questions, please let us know! 😄

Kind regards,

Marciano

Hi Marciano, 

Thanks for your rely. 

Firstly, why is this still on the tele2 forum with outdated information supplied by a tele2 employee? That is misleading for anyone trying to find information on the topic and your colleague in the chat made no attempt to simply tell me it was out of date. 

Secondly, please tell me how paying off my entire contract is “cancelling” it? Paying the entire fee would mean I am, paying off the contract, not cancelling it. 

So, from what I can gather, the information on your website is out of date and you are unable to do anything to help your customer, this would explain the trustpilot score of 1.4 for tele2 which I wish I had seen much sooner. 

Thanks for your clarification Marciano! 

Reputatie 7
Badge +12

Hey Rory,

You’re very welcome! Here on the Community there’s a lot of topics and questions over the years. @WhTurner is not an employee, he’s a customer just like you, who loves to help other customers. This is the first time in a while that we got a question about terminating a contract because of emigrating. We didn’t know the rules changed, so thank you for making us find out. I will make sure that this information will be published in our mobile Wiki as soon as possible.

By ‘canceling’ I mean terminating your contract early and paying off the contract, sorry for the confusion. Our website is up to date, however if other customers try to help you and find outdated information, that’s not ideal, but we will work on it. We’re always here to help you, however there are rules about terminating your contract. 

I hope this clarifies everything and I wish you good luck on the emigration! 😄

Hi Marciano,

No, WHTurner reposted information that is still online from a moderator named Cas. The link to the outdated information on your website is here: 

Tele2 didn’t know it’s own rules changed? Maybe whoever makes that decision should inform your team better next time :) 

Reputatie 5
Badge +6

Hi @rory12345

The information Cas gave was more than a year ago. The rules have changed in recent months, perhaps that is where the confusion has arisen! If there is anything else, I would love to hear about it. Enjoy your weekend in the meantime!

Reageer