beantwoord

[ENGLISH] Internet slow speed & stability issues

• 21 februari 2018
  • 6 reacties
  • 1016 x bekeken

At the place where I'm currently living at, the landlord has an internet subscription from Tele2. However, the internet connection is really unstable (constantly goes from 144 Mbps to 30 to 60 to 144 to 54 etc.) both through Wi-Fi and through cable (I monitored both of them, but no difference was noticeable - the speed was still bad and the stability non-existent; I also did speed tests, which resulted in highly variable results). It's been like this since I moved in, almost 6 months, but I've been told by the previous tenants that it was like this before. Both me and the landlord constantly tried contacting Tele2 customer service through the phone at (020) 754 44 65. Unfortunately, we've been constantly told that there is nothing that they can do - neither upgrade our contract nor change our modem (yes, we have a DSL connection). The only thing that they did was change the channel for the modem, but with no success to solve our issue (I also tried & manged to do this myself, thanks customer support; I tried putting the channel setting on automatic & manual; while on manual I tried every channel from 1 to 13, but none managed to solve this issue). Another important details: 1) we don't have a fixed phone, so the DSL line shouldn't suffer from that; 2) we don't have many devices connected to the Wi-Fi - currently 2 laptops and 2 phones. Regarding the last point, the stability issue continued to take place even when only one device was connected (i.e., my laptop).

Now, I don't want to pay for a service that we are not getting (which should be the internet at a constant and top speed for the contract we have) and the landlord is slowly reaching the same conclusion. I wanted to try one last time to solve this issue with Tele2 on the forum, since the phone customer service is of no help, before we make a final decision. Is there anything that you can do to solve this issue?
icon

Beste antwoord door Rena Chan 21 februari 2018, 21:23

Sadly some plans don't offer the possibility to upgrade de modem for a newer model with 5Ghz band.

If a upgrade is not possible, maybe Tele2 (and other DSL providers) cannot offer higher speeds in your address.

You could look to purchase your own WiFi access point, but first you should make sure that your wireless devices (computer, laptop, phone..) are all compatible with 5Ghz, otherwise it won't make any difference.
Bekijk origineel bericht

Dit topic is gesloten. Maak een nieuw topic aan als je een vraag hebt.

6 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +2
Okay,

You first say that your connection goes from 144Mbps all the way to 30Mbps, and you say you are using DSL.

This is just no possible at the moment the maximum DSL speed that you can get on a single DSL line is 100Mbps.

Try doing a speed test while your computer is connected via cable to the modem, and post the screen shot.

To allow the moderators to check your connection, fill your info (client number and date of birth) in your profile.

As for wifi, it seams you are using a 2,4Ghz channel, and in some places it's just too crowded, many devices can also interfere with the connection.

Besides wifi speeds are depending on the location of the modem and the distance between modem and the devices you're connected with.
Thanks for the fast reply.

Let me start by saying that there is a difference between Megabyte and Megabit (https://www.softperfect.com/contact/knowledgebase.php?article=10). Thus, 144 Mbps means 18 MB/s. Also, please look at the following screenshot of the connection admin panel: https://gyazo.com/7986297acfc05b38262dbdb0e926887b Seems to me that it is very possible!

Regarding the distance, it's less than 2 meters. More precisely, around 1 meter and half between the modem and my laptop, sometimes even less.

I updated the client number info on my profile. If you send me a private message I'll also tell you the name of the landlord, since the contract is on his name.

Furthermore, I will post a screenshot of the speed test via the internet cable as soon as possible. However, I don't know how relevant it is since it can be done in one of the moments where the speed is close to how it should be.
Reputatie 7
Badge +2
That's the wifi speed, not the internet connection speed.

First thing is to determine if you have a internet problem or a wifi problem.

Like I've said, wifi at 2,4Ghz can be unreliable in some situations, other access points, babyphones, Bluetooth devices... All those things can interfere with the connection.

If you've tried other channels and it doesn't seam to help, maybe you could think about expanding your network with a 5Ghz access point if your devices are compatible.

Somewhere in the modem web interface you can check the DSL information, including the speed you're getting from the line.
How can I do the change to 5Ghz? Again, phone customer support said that they can't change the modem, nor upgrade the contract.
Reputatie 7
Badge +2
Sadly some plans don't offer the possibility to upgrade de modem for a newer model with 5Ghz band.

If a upgrade is not possible, maybe Tele2 (and other DSL providers) cannot offer higher speeds in your address.

You could look to purchase your own WiFi access point, but first you should make sure that your wireless devices (computer, laptop, phone..) are all compatible with 5Ghz, otherwise it won't make any difference.
Reputatie 5
Badge +3
Due to the inactivity in this thread i have now closed this topic. If you have any questions or you would indeed like some help you can always open a new topic.

Kind regards,
Jasper