beantwoord

Tele2: bad services, suspicious practices, questionable policies. (probably) Part 1

• 7 maart 2018
  • 10 reacties
  • 928 x bekeken

• Aan het warmlopen
  • 4 reacties
Read below the email I wanted to send you.
Unfortunately - but not surprisingly- there is no email available.

Dear sir or madam,

I am writing to you to follow up the conversation I had, in a more formal way, with an employee at the complaints' department.

My story ,in short, is that I wanted to make a home internet & TV contract plus mobile contract with device.
I spoke on the phone with two employees that confirmed that even though I do not have a dutch passport I was able to do both contracts.
Given this condition I made first the home contract (that was the decision of the employee...) and then during the process of making the mobile contract
I was told that the "system" does not support this process and I should visit the nearest store so that they see my passport.
The nearest store is in Zwolle and I live in Enschede. I asked the employee, 2 or 3 times, to confirm that If I travel to Zwolle I was going to be able to make the contract.
He reassured me that with my passport and dutch bank account there would be no problem. Phone calls are recorded, so please check if there are any doubts.

Next, I travelled to Zwolle, entered the store, and told the story to the employee. He said that this is not possible and that both previous employees made a mistake.
I asked why is not possible and he said that "foreigners may make the contract, take the device, and leave the country". For me this is not an argument, but an insult.
Everybody in the globe apart from the Dutch citizens is likely to cheat? There are mechanisms to ensure the credibility of an individual to make a contract.
Tele2 has the resources to employ these mechanisms instead of insulting people/nations. Therefore, I simply perceive this argument as a discrimination policy.
If this is your opinion/policy, then you should clearly state it in your web-page because there are apparently many hidden steps until you realize as a customer what you are able to do and what not.

On Monday I canceled my contract and requested a compensation. The employee told me that there is no compensation because employees are humans and humans make mistakes.
(2 employees in two different days...! with an online system in which they can check the requirements on the spot...!)
My respond to this unprofessional argument is that if I break a vase on a friend's house I would offer to replace it; unless he/she says that it is fine.
It is very surprising that a company supposed to offer "services" is not at least polite!

To conclude, I need a formal response as to why you do not allow contracts with devices to EU citizens or to a person of any nationality who works and lives in the country?
Second, I repeat my request for a compensation. This includes:
1. The time I spent to travel to Enschede and back- approximately 4 hours
2. The train ticket in both directions
3. The money I spent on my pre-paid card on Saturday and Monday trying to cancel my contract - approximately 52 minutes !!!

I am looking forward to your response.

With kind regards
icon

Beste antwoord door rania 16 maart 2018, 14:32

Part 1 was closed by the moderator although I said that I will come back to give an update on the topic.

Therefore I am giving the response here in Part 2. To read the full story please check:
https://forum.tele2.nl/mobiele-abonnementen-180/tele2-bad-services-suspicious-practices-questionable-policies-probably-part-1-70213

Based on the information I got there, I tried to make a mobile contract with device on the re-seller:
https://m.mobiel.nl/abonnement/tele2

When I chose to buy a mobile that was around 1000 euros, I got a message that I cannot proceed because I do not have a Dutch passport. ...!!!!
When I chose to buy a mobile that was around 250 euros, I was able to proceed with the process. However, after you place the order they will ask you to complete a identification list such as uploading a photo-covered passport and pay a small fee with your bank account. I did these steps as well. Then, they notified me that I have to send them proof of my account being at least 6 months old. Note that this information is nowhere stated on the website as you proceed with the process! This means additional personal information. I called them and said that my account is 1 month old and they told me that they have to cancel the order.

Again Tele 2 does not inform potential customers over their policies and requirements.

Recommendations to avoid future troubles.
1. If you are Dutch, then there is no problem, no personal data are collected either.
2. If you are not Dutch, you can make a mobile contract with device if:
- the phone is less than 255 euros
- you have an account that is at least 6 months old
- and you provide them with a lots of personal information.
3. If you are not Dutch, and you want to make a mobile contract with device of a phone that is more expensive, you simply cannot do it.

If you think to buy the phone by installments in Media Markt, let me tell you is not so easy either. But this is another story.

The conclusions are yours,
Rania
Bekijk origineel bericht

Dit topic is gesloten. Maak een nieuw topic aan als je een vraag hebt.

10 reacties

Reputatie 6
Badge
Hi @Rania,

Strange story, it should be possible for you to have a mobile phone contract if you have an european passport and dutch bankaccount.
We will discuss this with the shop in Zwolle.
Unfortunatly we can not compensate you for this

Kind regards
Reputatie 7
Badge +2
A formal complaint can be done here: https://www.tele2.nl/klantenservice/klachtenformulier/

We can try to hide the motives behind certain policies, but this doesn't help anyone.
The thing is that all 4 Dutch providers were forced to implement restrictions on phone financing, due the losts they were making because people from other nationalities would buy 2, 3 devices and wouldn't even pay the first bill, and to make things worse, phone financing is now regulated by law and it falls under the same category as a bank loan, so the restrictions are much tighter.

In short to get a phone financed you'll probably need:

- a bank account that's between 3 to 6 months old or more
Either of the following documents combinations:
- Dutch passport, ID or driving license
- EU passport
- Non EU passport with a Dutch resident permit.

Via the phone or website Tele2 can only process the Dutch ID, any other documents can only be processed at a store or via a reseller like Belsimpel.nl or Mobiel.nl

Of course various credit checks find place when you wanna finance a device, including checks with private corporations like Experian and the Dutch Credit and finance authority.

What documents did you had with you at the store?
Hey Rena Chan,

Thank you for your clear answer.

When I visited the store I had with me all possible documents (i.e. passport, Dutch bank account, BRP, BSN, flat contract, and working contract). I told the salesman that I work here, I live here, I have an EU passport, and all necessary documents with me in my personal bag. I travelled there only to make the contract with my baby-son because my husband was busy at that time. Unfortunately, he did not even bother to check my papers. He just told me that if I do not have a Dutch passport I cannot make a contract.

Note: I started working in Netherlands 3 weeks ago, so I do not have an account that is 3 or more months old. This is a condition that I hear for the first time since none of the three employees that I talked told me about it , although I told them that i just moved to the country.
Reputatie 7
Badge +2
Hi
Rania,

The stuff at the Tele2 store did a poor job in communicating this with you. Hopefully @Arjan van Tele2 will report this case so they can take a look.

I'm not completely sure why some providers ask a bank account to be active for at least a few months, neither am I sure on how they check it.

Besides providers should by now allow you to use your own account from your country (if it's a SEPA country) but I'm not sure how's the situation regarding a phone financing.

on that note, a light on the financing topic
If you decide to buy a phone that's 249€ or cheaper, or you pay partially in advance and the amount left for financing is 249€ or lower, it's not considered a credit, so the restrictions are lower.

I've no personal interest in advising Tele2 over another provider, but the fact that Tele2 allows for a monthly contract by paying 1€ extra a month, even when you finance a phone is a huge advantage for me at least, since a 12 month or 24 month contract results in a fine if broken prematurely.

I'm not Dutch myself, and I always go to resellers when I'm shopping for a new phone and contract.

At mobiel.nl should be able to shop for phones with tele2 contracts without problems.

Of course you can also shop for the phone with other carriers, although most of the times tele2 either gives a bigger discount on the phone price or have the lower rates for calls and internet, besides of you being able to have a monthly contract of course.
Thank you for this useful information!
I will try your suggested options and give you a feedback in the next days.
Best,
Rania
Part 1 was closed by the moderator although I said that I will come back to give an update on the topic.

Therefore I am giving the response here in Part 2. To read the full story please check:
https://forum.tele2.nl/mobiele-abonnementen-180/tele2-bad-services-suspicious-practices-questionable-policies-probably-part-1-70213

Based on the information I got there, I tried to make a mobile contract with device on the re-seller:

When I chose to buy a mobile that was around 1000 euros, I got a message that I cannot proceed because I do not have a Dutch passport. ...!!!!
When I chose to buy a mobile that was around 250 euros, I was able to proceed with the process. However, after you place the order they will ask you to complete a identification list such as uploading a photo-covered passport and pay a small fee with your bank account. I did these steps as well. Then, they notified me that I have to send them proof of my account being at least 6 months old. Note that this information is nowhere stated on the website as you proceed with the process! This means additional personal information. I called them and said that my account is 1 month old and they told me that they have to cancel the order.

Again Tele 2 does not inform potential customers over their policies and requirements.

Recommendations to avoid future troubles.
1. If you are Dutch, then there is no problem, no personal data are collected either.
2. If you are not Dutch, you can make a mobile contract with device if:
- the phone is less than 255 euros
- you have an account that is at least 6 months old
- and you provide them with a lots of personal information.
3. If you are not Dutch, and you want to make a mobile contract with device of a phone that is more expensive, you simply cannot do it.

If you think to buy the phone by installments in Media Markt, let me tell you is not so easy either. But this is another story.

The conclusions are yours,
Rania
Reputatie 4
@rania, my apologies for that. I've reopend your first topic so we can discuss things in here.

Henk
Reputatie 6
Badge
Thank you for your input,

We do have strict rules for customers outside the Netherlands..
Unfortunately, not everybody is aware of these rules.
It might be a plan to make this a fixed topic on our forum.
We have to look in to that first.

For now i wish you a very good weekend!

Arjan van Tele2
Dear Arjan,

Please let me clarify:

I am not a customer outside the Netherlands.
I live, work, and pay my taxes in the Netherlands - but I do not have a Dutch nationality.

Nice weekend to you too!
Rania
Reputatie 6
Badge +1
Yeh, clear to me, you're an immigrant 🙂 and did they sell you a home Internet connection, like you wish?